I don't think I have written this anywhere from start to finish, and thought I should put it somewhere, and perhaps it will be interesting (?) - apologies as it is not really related to the blog topic!
Before leaving for our Kaua'i trip, I was packing my diabetes stuff. I grabbed a new vial of humalog, and noticed a vial of lantus insulin - expired by 2 yrs. I NEVER bring lantus with me on trips - even though I probably should - but it really grabbed my attention and I thought, yep, I should throw that in and make sure I have a couple of syringes... just in case... (miracle #1)
When we got to Kaua'i, we went straight to Poipu Beach and got a Puka Dog, then went over and watched people playing in the water. I got really excited to go snorkeling, so we drove to our hotel, checked in (it was now late enough for that), changed into our swimsuits, and went to our favorite place - Lydgate Park. My blood sugar was running high, so I told Blake maybe I'd wear my pump in the water since it's supposed to be waterproof - he thought that was a bad idea, and, though I didn't say it, I thought he was probably right. So, I clipped it to my swimsuit to remind myself to take it off. I then ran right into the water (I think I was really jet-lagged from getting up at 3:45 a.m. and just spaced it). We swam and snorkeled, and then I realized my pump was beeping and vibrating.
It had a "button error" and wasn't recognizing me pushing anything.
I didn't want to panic Blake, but told him and said we should probably head back.
We tried to see if letting it dry would do anything - it didn't - we realized that within about 30 min. So - Blake called medtronic (pump company) and I realized there is NO WAY I will have a functional pump by tonight - I have to figure out how to use this lantus!
While Blake was on-hold, I found the number to the Utah Diabetes Center and called - it was 10 p.m. on Fri in SLC (6 p.m. in Kaua'i), and the voicemail said "if this is an emergency, dial 911 - otherwise, leave a message and we'll get back to you within 24 hrs" - I left a message but thought - I don't have 24 hrs, and I am NOT giving myself little boluses on the hour!!!
So I thought - who may know how to dose lantus that may answer their phone??? I thought maybe the Smiths, whose daughter uses a pump - so called my neighbor, Geri (just happened to program her cell # in a few weeks ago) - and she happened to be home (miracle #2 since they decided at the last minute to stay in and watch a movie) to get me the Smiths #. Unfortunately, no answer! Then I remembered - there is a gentleman in my ward, Bro. Donaldson, who is a pediatric endocrinologist at the Utah Diabetes Center! I called Geri again, and got his #.
I knew it was now 10:30 p.m. in SLC - but his wife answered, and he was home!! (Miracle #3!!!) He was so kind and gave me the exact information I needed.
As I was talking to Bro. Donaldson, Blake got through to medtronic and found out my pump was under warranty (miracle #4 - we were about to put it on a credit card if needed - umm.... we're talking $5,000 - yikes!) - they shipped it immediately and we knew we'd get it by 5 p.m. Mon.
So - I think by the influence of guardian angels and/or the Holy Ghost - I was able to be ok. I feel really thankful and blessed that things were worked out quite smoothly and quickly, and we didn't have to go to an ER or anything, or do hourly checks/shots. I am one lucky woman!!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment