Today was a very full day. Blake has been wanting to go to the Farmer's Market in SLC, and we thought we'd hit that before our IVF class. I am shocked at how much it has expanded! I used to go weekly to buy my fruit/veggies for the week ~7-8 yrs ago - I remember it was about two rows - one with vendors, perpendicular to one with vendors and food. Vendors now encircle the park, and there are crafts plus fruits/veggies/flowers, meats, etc. PLUS lots of food vendors in the middle!!! When we were already a little nervous/stressed about the class, this equating to wall-to-wall people made us slightly more anxious. We bought some brats, corn, and jalapeno bread (to make a mean savory french toast), then called it good and headed to the class.
When we got there, as usual, they were very nice. We were there a few minutes early - in the waiting room a "House" episode was playing - I couldn't see well because there was a GIANT floral centerpiece on the table between me and the tv, but Blake said it was an episode where they stuck a big shot in someone's leg (not really unusual for that show...) :) There were ~5 other couples out waiting with us.
The Nurse Practitioner teaching the class, Angie, came back to get us and we all went back to a room where there were slide handouts and little packets with practice vials, needles, and a patch of foam "practice skin" sitting on the tables. I remembered this kind of thing from when I was learning to take insulin shots 27 years ago! :)
Angie started to give an overview of IVF - from why certain tests must be done before proceeding with it, to the basic time line, to what the process entails and what a "Day 3" vs. "Day 5" transfer is (and why one is sometimes preferred over another), to how they "score" embryos at Day 3 and Day 5, to embryo freezing considerations, and all sorts of info re: risks. One of the things she mentioned, which I love about this clinic, is that many of the nurses (including her) have struggled with infertility and gone through IVF, so they have the perspective of what it is like - a nice thing for your provider, I think!
Within a few minutes of starting, we ended up with 12 couples total (well, 11 couples plus one poor girl whose spouse didn't make it there) in a fairly small room - it was pretty crowded! Then poor Angie's powerpoint got stuck! It took a few min to get back on track. I noticed how interesting it was to see so many people there (AND a gal at the office called me yesterday to let us know Angie had scheduled an additional class today to see if we would prefer an earlier time, so I know lots of people are going through this). We all ranged from young (two couples looked like they were in their early 20's) to older (mid to late 30's I'd guess), thin and statuesque to roly-poly (I like to think I was somewhere in the middle ;) ), of various ethnic backgrounds. We sat at our table with a very nice couple - the woman's name was Simoni - I believe they are South American. She was beyond gorgeous and had a little girl (3 yrs old) with her - I couldn't understand everything, but gleaned they had tried in Dec with another clinic and it didn't work. She had a friend who had gone through the Reproductive Care Center (RCC) and had success - so they were giving it a try. She is also in Dr. Heiner's Sept batch, so I'm thinking I may run into her now and again, which is nice.
Anyway, after Angie went over the basics, we took a short break. I was shocked at the tension between couples as they talked about things and seemed a little confused. I have taken it for granted I guess that a) I have a little background in understanding the mechanics of all of his since I took (and TA'd) Embryology in college, b) we had looked into this a little in 2008, c) we have family and friends who have gone through this so had heard about it from them, and d) we had discussed this in detail with our doctor, and I'd read about it in a number of fertility books and online. *I think we were pretty prepared for the information we were going to hear, and we'd read all of our forms carefully, so things didn't surprise or bother us so much. Many of the couples seemed like they were very new to this - like it didn't even seem like anyone had talked to them about it yet at all! I was kind of surprised!
*Admittedly, one thing I was NOT aware of was that when they stimulate the ovaries to get eggs (target: ~20) - the ovaries, normally the size of walnuts, will grow to the size of oranges!!! I hadn't heard THAT before! She warned us that we would feel bloated and perhaps a bit uncomfortable (not surprisingly!) More fun for me...! :)
When we got back from our break, we got to practice drawing up and injecting medications, and mixing the powder ones to prepare them. I was happy to hear that you can mix 2-3 of the medications so you only have to take 1-2 shots vs. a shot per medication - I may be familiar with shots, but I have NEVER been ok with them really! I was very happy to feel familiar/comfortable with the process, and to see the needles (except for the trigger shot) are basically insulin-type length, so not too crazy. I let Blake do all the practicing so he can help me if needed.
We then signed our forms with Angie witnessing, and were done!
I just need to verify with Dr. Heiner's nurse (Crystal) that I am on the antagonist protocol, and make sure I get the non-injectable progesterone supplement if possible, and then I'll know I just continue taking birth control pills and prenatal vitamins until Sept 6, then go in on Sept 10 for my suppression check - and then will start medications right after that.
One of my favorite Disneyland rides as a child was "Peter Pan" - I distinctly recall at the beginning of that ride, as the car heads into the darkness of the adventure, Peter Pan's voice says... "Here we go!!!" That's kind of resonating with me again as we venture into this great, terrifying, and wonderfully exciting unknown.
Fingers crossed... :)
Wow, that is an important class before embarking on this journey. I'm glad that you guys are feeling confident and well informed. We love you and hope all goes well.
ReplyDeleteEmber
Thanks Ember!
ReplyDelete