Grace is here!

Grace is here!
Our adventures begin with the amazing baby Grace! :)

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Humbled

In talking with a co-worker (my friend Theron) about our upcoming IVF, he said "well if you're doing this in September, I'm going to dedicate my Sept fast to you and Blake". I was floored (in a very thankful way!) Mind you - Theron is a Bishop in his ward, is < 35 yrs old, has 3 little kids at home, and lots of siblings - oh, and he is preparing for LOTOJA (Logan to Jackson - a 200+ cycling road race he does every year)... that he would be so kind and matter-of-fact about it when he has so many other things going on that he could easily focus on made me feel very grateful. I mean, I know people who would dedicate their fast to their upcoming bike race... when I grow up, I hope to be as thoughtful, kind, and selfless.

Another thing about Theron. I have many great friends from cycling, and I kind of get serious cyclists. It is VERY easy to pal around with your cycling friends who are as strong as you, tell cycling stories, go on rides together, etc. But, once one of you either gets faster or slower, it's even EASIER to kind of stop trying to ride together, and it's easy to stop caring much about what the other person is doing. It's not that you don't care about the person, but the thread of what you have in common stretches and gets thin, and... well... it's just not as fun to ride with someone who is a lot faster, or a lot slower - and it's easy to start making excuses for why you can't ride with them.

Theron is a SERIOUS CYCLIST. Did I mention he races in LOTOJA EVERY YEAR? Oh yes - and he wins his age group, or places high in it, regularly. I'll come back to this in a moment.

After being sick with WNV, by the time I could have ridden my bike again, I had dystonia develop in my foot and had complex regional pain syndrome for about 6 months. So I was sidelined. It was painfully obvious that my cycling friends needed cycling buddies, and who can blame them? But I was very, very sad since it was so painful to get on my bike, or do yoga, or rock climb, etc... So - I drifted from my cycling friends, and I started feeling like cycling (...and yoga, and rock climbing, and... well... WALKING normally) would no longer be a part of my life.

Well - when Theron joined my Program and I found out he is a cyclist, of course I started telling him about my past life as a cyclist and mtn biker. And he started telling me we should ride together at lunch. And I would tell him he was crazy and promised he did NOT want to ride with a slow-poke like me.

But he has never given up encouraging me to get out and ride - and he was so cool and supportive about the Goldilocks Ride and Little Red Riding Hood ride this year, and reminding me to set a little higher of a goal and to keep trying and pushing myself. He would tell me how his wife was doing and what her goals were, and it really made me feel like a) I could get back to where I was, and b) there would be people who would be happy for me who really GET how important that day, when I realize heck yes I CAN ride Wasatch Crest on my mtn bike, or I CAN ride up Big Cottonwood Canyon without stopping in < 3 hrs, will be! :)

Theron is such a great example. I doubt he will ever know what an impact he's made, but his persistent, kind encouragement and sincere enthusiasm, along with his willingness to celebrate my little achievements (and I do mean LITTLE when you think of what he does) have made me WANT to ride and get to a place where I COULD do a little spin with him (even if that is in the far, far future)!

Now don't get me wrong - I have lots of friends and family (who I appreciate very much) who have encouraged me and who ride with me on occasion. I think just knowing how busy Theron is, and how competitive, has made me value his interest in me getting back out there on my bikes.

Anyway - I hope I can try to be as kind, encouraging, humble, and selfless - it's such an honor to know such wonderful people (which you ALL are or you wouldn't have been invited to read this in the first place!) ;)

THANK YOU for the great influences YOU all are in our lives!!! Once again, I know we are surrounded by wonderful friends and family - and we are lucky, and very thankful!

2 comments: