Grace is here!

Grace is here!
Our adventures begin with the amazing baby Grace! :)

Monday, September 13, 2010

What do the medications do exactly...?

I just found an interesting article on IVF stimulation protocols and what the medications do. The three I am taking are: Ganirelix (GnRH - antagonist), Bravelle (FSH), and low-dose HCG until a final "trigger" dose of HCG is given - retrieval is 35 hrs after that.

From http://www.advancedfertility.com/ivf-stimulation-antagonist.htm :

"IVF stimulation protocols in the U.S. generally involve the use of 3 types of drugs:
  1. GnRH-agonist (gonadotropin releasing hormone agonist, Lupron) or a GnRH-antagonist (Ganirelix) to suppress the LH surge and ovulation until the follicles are mature

  2. FSH product (follicle stimulating hormone) to stimulate development of multiple follicles

  3. HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) to cause final maturation of the eggs"

I had a mini-meltdown after work and told Blake I need him to baby me through the end of the month. He said he doesn't even know what that means so we had a discussion about it. I think it helped and I feel better now.

Shot #3 in about an hour, then blood test for estradiol level in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment