Grace is here!

Grace is here!
Our adventures begin with the amazing baby Grace! :)

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Estradiol levels, etc.

First, this is the picture of the good luck charm the pharmacy sent with my medications. I like it - it's currently on our fireplace mantle. :) (Yes, we DO like metal sculptures!)

I went to my appointment this morning for my estradiol check. My veins are soooo bad - I told the phlebotomist usually my hand is best, but she wanted to try my wrist vein since it looked pretty good. OUCH is all I have to say about that! Yikes. Plus the bandage kind of looked like I was trying to off myself... but she was super nice.

About 2:30 p.m. I noticed my test results were back - my estradiol level was 188, up from 32 last Thurs. I was curious about what that might mean, and found the following link:

http://www.advancedfertility.com/ivfstim.htm

It explains how estradiol levels should rise during an IVF cycle and why they are monitored:

  • "Blood hormone levels and developing follicle sizes are monitored.

  • Ultrasound is used to measure the follicles.

  • Estrogen hormone blood levels are important. Estrogen (actually estradiol) levels are usually under 60 pg/ml at cycle baseline and rise significantly as multiple follicles develop.

  • Peak estradiol levels in IVF at the time of HCG are usually between 1000 and 4000 pg/ml.

  • The stimulating process usually takes about 8-10 days

    Estrogen hormone levels in IVF cycle
    Graph showing estrogen hormone levels during an IVF stimulation
    Estradiol starts low and rises to 1000 to 4000 pg/ml by the time of the HCG injection

  • The HCG injection is given when the estrogen level and the follicle measurements look best for successful IVF outcome. The HCG shot is needed to induce final egg maturation."

  • So... I thought 188 might be a little high at this point, and I was a little anxious about what that would mean for my dose today.

    I had meetings at work from 11-2:30, then 2:45-4:30; I realized in my last meeting that I hadn't heard from the nurse yet and started worrying that maybe they forgot me... so, I left a message at 4:30 p.m.

    I got home and the nurse called at 5:45 p.m. GOOD NEWS! I'm responding well to the medications and can decrease my FSH dose to 2 vials vs. 3 vials of Bravelle for today and tomorrow. Thankfully I seem to be cruising along - fingers crossed all continues to go well! :)

    Also - kudos to Blake - he tried a shot of saline in his belly last night to see how it felt. Lucky for him, he hit a spot that wasn't sensitive. It meant a lot to me that he did that.

    5 comments:

    1. So glad you got good news on the numbers and that you could decrease the Bravelle. So far so good! Keep it up!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Serious kudos to Blake for giving himself a shot, I can't even get Tom to let me try and wax between his eyebrows! :p

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks Sherry! :) Dani - I was impressed, too!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Melissa, that is wonderful but you need to put your hand up in the stop motion and say youWILL draw my blood here , no where else....I have the same problem,dont let them do what they want do what you need...sometimes Ive had to say kindly I need someone in here who can do this (like after 5 times) oh that makes me mad they hurt you for no reason ......ok enough good job blake and great great great on the results , this is quite a roller coaster ride, huh? love mom

      ReplyDelete
    5. True mom - I have done better with that (telling them where my good veins are) yesterday and today - went better. :)

      ReplyDelete