Grace is here!

Grace is here!
Our adventures begin with the amazing baby Grace! :)

Saturday, September 11, 2010

First shot - done. Woohoo! :)

First of all, to give Blake credit :) -
I was feeling anxious last night.
Blake went out and brought me flowers (roses, in fact - the first time he's bought me roses!) and a treat from Baskin Robbins - he got lots of positive man points there... :)

I don't know why, but I've been having a lot of angst over this first shot! I started thinking about it yesterday, and kind of stressed about it all day. Maybe my emotions were running high due to the anniversary of 9/11? Maybe it's normal to feel a little freaked out about what we're about to do - to my ovaries, in retrieving the eggs, etc.? Probably somewhat... Anyway, who knows.

We watched some amazing documentaries this morning re: 9/11 - the stories are such a mix of despair, hope, tragedy, and miracles. Kind of heart breaking all over again - I would imagine everyone ends up re-living where they were on 9/11/01 on the anniversary each year.

We then got to listen to the first half of the Independence CC Pirates vs. Ft Scott CC Greyhounds game (Ricky is the Wide Receivers coach for Independence CC) - much closer game this week - in fact, the Pirates were ahead 12-7 from the second qtr until the end when I guess a blocked field goal attempt resulted in a Greyhound touchdown - so, the final score was 12-14. Bummer - so close! Next week I bet it will be their week! :)

We went to Blake's parents' to watch the University of Utah game with Ron - great game, lots of fun to watch! We then went to dinner with them at the Mandarin - great food - lots of fun.

We came home and went on a walk so I could calm down since I started to get anxious about the shot. Gorgeous night!

When we got back, we got out the 4 vials of Bravelle powder, vial of low-dose HCG, and vial of saline solution. We also got out the insulin syringe to draw up the HCG, and the mixing syringe for everything else. The first step is to pop off the caps on the vials. Then you draw 20 units of HCG out of the HCG vial and squirt it into the first vial of Bravelle powder. Then you draw up a 0.5 cc of saline and squirt it also into the first vial of Bravelle powder. You draw all of that up and put it into the next vial of Bravelle powder, and repeat until you get to the last vial of Bravelle powder (tonight, that was vial #4). You then carefully push the air out of the syringe so the liquid is flush with the top of the syringe, take the needle off of the syringe (it's a huge, scary gauge mixing needle), and put a small insulin-type needle on. You clean off your injection site with an alcohol swab (right side of my belly tonight), pinch the skin slightly, hold the syringe like a pencil, and commence with the injection. Tonight I stuck the needle in and I let Blake push the plunger to deliver the medicine. It stung a little - I think because the low-dose HCG is cold. But it really wasn't bad. I'm convinced the emotional part of doing something new and hoping we did it right, knowing it's the first step to hopefully having a baby, is far more stressful than the mechanical part of this whole thing. It's weird to know intellectually we did everything right and still feel freaked out.

Anyway - I think it will be easier to do the rest of the shots now that this one is out of the way - hooray! :)

Off to call Ricky to hear about his game, and my mom...

4 comments:

  1. That is a milestone, hooray! I love the picture of Blake, how cute is he. Points for sure! :)

    That was a neat article you posted, was it yesterday? I feel like I am totally being educated about IVF, which I never knew much about before - hopefully I can be more aware/sensitive to other people when they be going through all this... you are handling everything beautifully!

    Oh and PS I loved the picture of the melting snow (both stories really)... I think it's awesome to notice/ see things that make you feel hopeful and feel the 'big picture' of things. Those things are hard to explain, but can make such a difference when you are open to them.

    Sorry for the extra long comment here.. :) have a good rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to apologize on your comment - it is great! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my posts and comment - I think that is so nice of you! :)

    I definitely appreciate your comments here, and I hope your weekend is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! You're on your way!!! My fingers and toes are crossed....this will all be so very worth it when you hold your beautiful little one. Keep it up, you and Blake are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sherry! I needed that tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete