I know I've not been posting as often as I was before - just a reflection of being busy and tired! Holy cow!!!
So - first - week 6 of pregnancy is a REALLY cool week!
According to http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-6-weeks_1095.bc?responsys_count=0&scid=mbtw_preg06:945&pe=2UvuHCR (the links should work, too) :) :
"This week's major developments: The nose, mouth, and ears that you'll spend so much time kissing in eight months are beginning to take shape. If you could see into your uterus [this is where you can see a drawing of what the embryo(s) look like], you'd find an oversize head and dark spots where your baby's eyes and nostrils are starting to form. His emerging ears are marked by small depressions on the sides of the head, and his arms and legs by protruding buds. His heart is beating about 100 to 160 times a minute — almost twice as fast as yours — and blood is beginning to course through his body. His intestines are developing, and the bud of tissue that will give rise to his lungs has appeared. His pituitary gland is forming, as are the rest of his brain, muscles, and bones. Right now, your baby is a quarter of an inch long, about the size of a lentil.
You may find yourself developing a bit of a split personality — feeling moody one day and joyful the next. Unsettling as this is (especially if you pride yourself on being in control), what you're going through is normal. Ricocheting emotions are caused partly by fluctuating hormones. But hormones aside, your life is about to change in a big way — and who wouldn't feel emotional about that?"
Thankfully, I read this on Tues - all week my symptoms have been coming and going, and on Tues I was feeling totally normal and happy and that made me nervous that something was wrong. I've talked to a few people and apparently that is not too unusual (either the symptoms coming and going, OR the constant worrying ;)...) So at least I don't feel as crazy. :) I started feeling nauseous in the afternoons on Wed - and today I've been feeling sort of crummy all day. Hooray!!! (Haha...) :)
So I got my flu shot today, and I got to tell Dr. Hanlon's nurse, Vicki, my news. She has known we've been trying since 2007 so it was DELIGHTFUL to tell her - she was so excited. She made me promise to call after the ultrasound to tell her if we've got one or two developing. Pretty fun!
OK so insulin/diabetes stuff - I ended up increasing my basal rates last Fri to:
12 midnight: 2.2 units/hr
7 a.m.: 2.0 units/hr
9 p.m.: 2.2 units/hr
... this is roughly 2X my usual basal - but that worked GREAT throughout the weekend and I stayed right around 100 mg/dL which is good.
Then on Tues, my blood sugars started to run low, which freaked me out, until I remembered something I'd read a long time ago re: diabetes and pregnancy.
According to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (at http://www.jdrf.org/index.cfm?page_id=103524):
"Because of lost appetite during morning sickness and the fetus' removal of glucose from your body, your insulin needs may go down initially; as the pregnancy progresses, they will increase."
So I thought maybe it's not so bad that all of a sudden my blood sugars are going down. At least, I'm taking it as a good sign! It's kind of a pain because I keep having to run drink juice or eat something, and I know I'll keep having to make adjustments over time, but at least at the moment I'm able to run low - normal vs. high.
I adjusted my basal rates yesterday to:
12 midnight: 2.0 units/hr
7 a.m.: 1.8 units/hr
4 p.m. (added since I've been dropping just before dinner): 1.7 units/hr
9 p.m.: 2.0 units/hr
So far, this is working pretty well. I ran low all day today, but I think it's more because I've been running around cleaning, etc. all day vs. the rates are off. Good times. :)
Anyway - the viability scan/pregnancy ultrasound next week will be nice to get done. It will be good to get confirmation things are ok/going well - then it's on to the Maternal/Fetal Medicine Specialist for the rest of the pregnancy!
Speaking of... I had planned to go to Dr. Amy Sullivan - I'd met with her several times over the past 5 yrs, but she only has appointments on Tues mornings. So I swapped to the person who has appointments on Fri morning - Dr. Robert Silver. I think it will be ok - he is the Chief of the Division and studied in Colorado, so you know that's good... ;)
Oh one more thing - over the weekend in Denver I gained 4 lbs - I thought it was just water retention (that happens to me ANYTIME I go anywhere) but it's not going away!!! Hrrmph... a little much for the first few weeks of pregnancy! I re-joined the gym at work so I can walk on the treadmill or use the orbital glider - hopefully that will help me keep my weight under control. :)
OK then - enjoy your weekend!!! We're going to the Utah/Colorado State University football game tomorrow with our Dads for their birthdays. I think it will be wonderful, but maybe a little rainy/cold! Thank heavens for rain ponchos! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment