So today is our fifth wedding anniversary!!! It is crazy to think about - what an interesting five years. Despite the rough spots, I am really happy to say this has been my FAVORITE year so far! :) I love my Blakee - he is the best, funniest, quirkiest match for me.
We are getting ready to leave for Denver after Blake gets home from work. Well, I should say Blake packed last night, and I'm working on laundry and cleaning in preparation to go. It is promising to be a crazy fun weekend!
After continuing to have my blood sugars run high, it dawned on me this morning (after trying a new bottle of insulin, changing sites, etc.) that perhaps the Crinone (the only other new medicine I'm taking) could be contributing? Lo and behold, I found the following:
( http://www.drugstore.com/crinone/1-box-6-applications-8-gel/qxn44087081808)
IF YOU HAVE DIABETES, Crinone 8% Gel may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely and ask your doctor before adjusting the dose of your diabetes medicine.
and
(http://www.drugs.com/cons/crinone.html)
Diabetes mellitus—May cause an increase in your blood sugar and a change in the amount of medicine you take for diabetes; progestins in high doses are more likely to cause this problem.
At least it's not such a mystery now why my blood sugars have been running persistently higher than they should!
I thought well, I'll call Dr. Heiner's office to see if shots would be better. I spoke with Tami, who I love, but she didn't know about any of that and said it would be best to talk to my Ob/Gyn. I emailed Dr. Chamberlain - he also felt I should check with my Ob/Gyn and just keep adjusting my insulin dose up. I left a message for the Maternal/Fetal Medicine Specialist (who will follow me as my Ob/Gyn) and haven't heard back yet. My feeling is since the primary ingredient is the same in suppository or shot (progesterone) it will probably not make a difference. So I'm going to adjust my basal rate on my own until things are under control.
If all is going well and the embryo(s) are developing as they should, I'll be on Crinone through week 10. So I'll just have to continue to watch my blood sugars and make sure I don't drop once I stop taking it (or, I should say, be ready to quickly adjust in that case).
Ahhhh... the joys of diabetes in IVF and pregnancy! :) Hopefully all is going to a good end, though, with a healthy baby (or babies) at the end.
On to my chores then! I will probably post Mon night again since we'll be gone until late Sun night. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Happy Anniversary!
ReplyDeleteIt's so good that you are so informed/ up on everything so you can take such care with all of the medications, insulin, etc. Lucky baby/babies to have you! I am amazed reading all that is going on when they are only sesame-seed size!!
I hope you have a great weekend.
Thanks Kris! You are very kind! :)
ReplyDelete