Grace is here!

Grace is here!
Our adventures begin with the amazing baby Grace! :)

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Week 11 - a pretty fun surprise!

Well... the blizzard is not a fun surprise... holy cow!!!  But... in terms of week 11...

Today is the first day, so not much to say yet re: what it's meant! ;)  I know I was nauseous and tired today - good news, right???

In terms of development, according to http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-11-weeks_1100.bc?responsys_count=1&scid=mbtw_preg11:955&pe=2UvuHCR:

"Your baby, just over 1 1/2 inches long and about the size of a fig, is now almost fully formed. Her hands will soon open and close into fists, tiny tooth buds are beginning to appear under her gums, and some of her bones are beginning to harden.

She's already busy kicking and stretching, and her tiny movements are so effortless they look like water ballet. These movements will become more frequent as her body grows and becomes more developed and functional. You won't feel your baby's acrobatics for another month or two — nor will you notice the hiccupping that may be happening now that her diaphragm is forming.

See what your baby looks like this week."

It also said symptoms will start to go away in a week or two and I *should* start feeling more energetic and better in general.

Can you believe we're almost through the 1st trimester, and are more than 25% of the way through the pregnancy???  Time is a flyin'!!! 

My next appt with Dr. Silver was today - it was supposed to be at 4:15 p.m., but given the panic re: the impending blizzard, they called ~11 a.m. and asked if they could move it up.  I called Blake quickly (he got to come with me today) and we decided to go at 2:15 p.m. instead.

Thankfully no one gasped at my weight, and my blood pressure was only 132/70 - pretty good for me at a dr office (it was 124/67 at home this morning).  The nurse midwife, Rita, came in and talked with us for a minute - she said since it was a bit early to hear the heartbeat, she would try to get us in for an ultrasound.  Luckily they had lots of  cancellations due to the weather and they fit us right in!  So... enjoy a few pictures!



Can you tell where its head and rump are? :)  Blake observed it looks like the baby is sitting in a hammock.

You can't see it on the picture, but we got to see the baby moving like CRAZY, and we could see its arms, legs, hands and feet!  So fun to see something more baby than Slimer-like!

Its heart rate was 171 bpm; you can see above length = 4.34 cm, and it's right on target for week 11 day 1. :)  Hooray!!!

I am sooo excited Blake got to see the ultrasound - he missed the last one, and our integrated screen (coming up on Dec 10) is 2+ hrs so I'm not sure he'll get to come to it.  So - awesome that he got to see this today.

OK my fatigue is kicking in.  Two stories before I go:

Our neighbors asked Blake how I was doing/feeling (they know re: the pregnancy) - his response?  Well, she's still my angel - it's just that the halo is kind of being held on by two little horns these days...  Funny Blake! :)

Today, the ultrasound tech asked how my blood sugars have been - I said really, really good.  She asked what my last HbA1C was - I told her 6.2 - she said "well, that's good - could be a little better, but..." and I interrupted her and said "um... no, that is REALLY good!  It's not easy to get it to be that good - I've been doing this for a long time!"  I think I shocked her with my reply.  I guess she had gestational diabetes and had a hard time controlling her blood sugars - I told her maybe it was a little easier for me since I'd been managing mine for almost 30 years and have my sensor.  COME ON - if the goal is < 6.5 (your risks are the same as a non-diabetic at that level) and I'm there, don't tell me I should be doing better, especially if you're not my doctor!  Blake says she was kidding/being sarcastic - and is reassuring me that I wasn't mean (one of my great fears lately given story 1!)

I felt happy when I ran into Dr. Silver on our way out and he said I'm doing awesome and he wishes all of his diabetic patients were as compulsive as me - he even said "we joke there are two types of diabetics - those who don't need us, and those who won't listen - you definitely don't need us" (said smiling and nicely) :) - that made me feel like I'm doing well.  This kid is important to me!!! :)

OK then - hope you all have a great day.  Until week 12 (or 13 depending on if I get the energy to post!) ;)

8 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you. I'm glad you feel like your pregnancy is 'a flyin'' because pregnancies sure can drag. Especially the first...
    There is nothing comparable to having a life living inside of you--treasure it and love it. It truly is a miracle all around.
    Congrats again and again.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so fun!! I'm glad you and Blake both got to see this time! How amazing over 1/4 of the way. And definitely a lucky baby to have such a compulsive mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's stinkin amazing, i showed the picture to my kids and explained what things were and they were so excited!! Hope you don't mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! No prob Savannah - Happy Thanksgiving to you all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great goin' Melissa. So glad everything checks out so well and the little one is getting bigger. Keep up the good work. So fun that you got to see the baby moving around. Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh a little baby in a hammock..it has to be the best most thankful thanksgiving ever...

    ReplyDelete