Grace is here!

Grace is here!
Our adventures begin with the amazing baby Grace! :)

Friday, November 12, 2010

Before I miss it... week 9!

So today I am at week 9 day 3 - before I get to the evening of week 9 day 6, thought I better put info up re: week 9!

What week 9 is meaning for me - I made a HUGE mistake calculating carbs one night and had a big spike in my blood sugar.  Yikes.  I was able to get it back down quickly, though, so I think everything is ok.

Nausea (ok in the morning, worse as the day goes by) continues (hooray...?!) - I seem to be more tired, and I've been crying over silly things (good stuff :) ).  I paid fairly close attention (minus the carb mis-count) to what I ate this week, and didn't gain any weight.

I made a couple of adjustments to my insulin dosing:

basal is now:
12 midnight: 1.4 units/hr
9 p.m.: 1.5 units/hr

carb ratios:
12 midnight: 1 unit/7 grams of carbs
2 p.m.: 1 unit/8 grams of carbs

My past two week's average glucometer reading (thanks to my evening spike) is 120 mg/dL; sensor ave for past week is 109 mg/dL.

My awesome friend Rachel sent me a really fun book - "The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy" - gift-wrapped and everything!  I am loving it so far.  Of course the kind gesture brought happy, thankful tears. :)  How nice of her to make me feel thought of!!!

Before I go to week 9 development, I forgot to include a funny story from my dr appt last week.  The Medical Asst was going through her list of questions and, almost at the end, without looking up/realizing my mother AND sister-in-law were there, asked "are you sexually active"?  OK, so 1) isn't that a funny question to ask a pregnant woman, and 2) ... ummm... AWKWARD!  So I leaned toward her and said "yes, but don't tell these two!" ;)  We all got a good laugh out of that I think. :)

... and one other thing - I put my name in at the daycare at work, and was told their waiting list for infants is 12-18 months.  I find this so odd!!!  How can the waiting list be TWICE the gestation period of one baby?  I think people are doing some serious family planning! ;)  Anyway, I'm glad I got my name in.  I'm not too worried - I think things will work out as they should - but I'm kind of bummed I'll need to start looking at alternative options.  I know it will be ok though.

OK - week 9 development for the baby (we've started moving from calling it "embryo" to "baby") :)

According to http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-9-weeks_1098.bc:

"Your new resident is nearly an inch long — about the size of a grape — and weighs just a fraction of an ounce. She's starting to look more and more human. Her essential body parts are accounted for, though they'll go through plenty of fine-tuning in the coming months. Other changes abound: Your baby's heart finishes dividing into four chambers, and the valves start to form — as do her tiny teeth. The embryonic "tail" is completely gone. Your baby's organs, muscles, and nerves are kicking into gear. The external sex organs are there but won't be distinguishable as male or female for another few weeks. Her eyes are fully formed, but her eyelids are fused shut and won't open until 27 weeks. She has tiny earlobes, and her mouth, nose, and nostrils are more distinct. The placenta is developed enough now to take over most of the critical job of producing hormones. Now that your baby's basic physiology is in place, she's poised for rapid weight gain."

Cool, huh?

Also it said mood swings are normal now.  Too bad I couldn't explain this to the poor woman I about flipped out on at Red Lobster last night when she asked us to give up our seats in the waiting area (that we'd just got) - I didn't realize for a moment it was for her poor 88 yr old veteran father who had fallen the week before, and I said something snippy since Blake was visibly annoyed about my bad foot. :(  Not good!  Luckily rational, kinder thoughts kicked in fairly quickly and we gave them our seats and visited for a minute.  I did apologize and told her I was so sorry for being ornery and that it was no trouble.  Sigh... snapping at a stranger is SO not like me!!!

Anyway, hope you are all doing great.  More soon - I'm sooo looking forward to completing taking Crinone next week!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got to patch things up with the Red Lobster woman... you are sweet. Thanks for keeping it real though, we all have our snappish moments!

    I'm glad to hear "the new resident" is doing great :) that is pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete