Man you would think I'd learn to post a little earlier in the week! Tomorrow starts week 13 and I haven't said anything about week 12!
So... about week 12 for the baby (from http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-12-weeks_1101.bc?read_more=1&scid=mbtw_preg12:985&pe=2UvuHCR):
"The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder.
Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.
See what your baby looks like this week."
Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.
See what your baby looks like this week."
Cool, huh?
The website also talked about how your doctor can now feel the fundus, or top of your uterus, low in your abdomen, and how you may be needing to wear maternity clothes (umm.... started doing that a week or two ago - I was excited, come on! ;) ), and how you may be experiencing heartburn. Again - yep, that started a while back!!!
So... one of the good things this week was finally asking my doctor about that blasted heartburn and finding out I DIDN'T HAVE TO SUFFER! Prilosec and mylanta (and TUMS) are all SAFE!!! Hooray! I am feeling soooo much better. My nausea has improved about 80%. Still some (kind of thankfully as it is reassuring) but not that bad. Hallelujah. AND the nausea *MAY* start to improve soon anyway as we're about to enter the second trimester in about a week here!
Another "good" - and this is rockin' good - I had my appointment with Dr. Chamberlain (diabetes specialist) and... drum roll please... my HbA1C was 5.4!!! A personal best - what this means is that for the past 8 - 12 weeks, my blood sugars have been running about what a non-diabetic's would. Woohoo! I feel really blessed, and am so thankful I have my sensor and know how to make (virtually daily) micro-adjustments to keep things in check. :)
So... the bad and ugly... this week I think were very connected!!! First, my foot has been hurting/acting up. I think the weather (stormy), being tired, and my little toe still being messed up from my trip about a month ago are all making that nasty. I have an appt in Jan to talk with my ortho guy (Dr. Beals - incidentally he is good friends with Dr. Chamberlain) to make a plan for this because I really don't want to be in pain for the rest of my life... I'm going to have a kid to chase in about 6 mos here!!! (Well, I know I won't need to chase the baby right off the bat, but you know what I mean...) :)
Now the ugly... well, to make things worse with my bad foot, as I was walking into work last Wed, I tripped on something. For a nanosecond, I thought I'd caught myself... but, no such luck. I flew like Superman, landing on my knees and hands (LUCKILY). I skinned my knees and pulled a muscle or two in my back, but I saved my diet coke from being splattered all over my jacket, so hooray. No one saw me so I just pulled myself together in my little cute skirt, tights, and cowboy boots, gathered my lunch bag, purse, and diet coke, and walked as fast as I could given my bad foot to my desk. When I was going home, I had visions of being like "Elf" when he couldn't go up the escalator... you know, scooting my leg out until I was doing the splits past where I fell... luckily I noticed a missing square of carpet precisely where I'd tripped! Mystery solved. I reported the incident to Employee Support and HR the next day and it was fixed promptly. Hopefully no one else will trip and fall there now!
So Fri I have marathon appts - a study appt at 10:45 a.m., followed by a follow-up dr appt at 11:45, then the integrated screen from 1 - 3 p.m. Unfortunately, Blake can't make it as he needs to be at work. Luckily, I know quite a few people at the Univ Hospital (where I'll be) from when I worked there, so maybe I'll be able to go bug... I mean, VISIT... them for a bit when I grab lunch! :)
OK then - hope you're all great! On to week 13!!! :)
Yay! I am glad to see that baby is cooking so good!
ReplyDeletePriceless, so glad you get to take heartburn meds, its awful......still nothing for nausea,keep crackers? hope you back and cold are better , I had to just sleep propped up with that ..only chicken broth and cold snap seemed to help... love you thank you for posting .... priceless mom
ReplyDeleteThanks Dani and Mom! Mom - I'm wondering if this is allergies - hasn't turned into anything but it's lingering... ugh!
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting the info. It could be the bad air bothering you. Sorry you fell down. I'm glad it wasn't too serious. 2 inch baby!! Good going!
ReplyDelete:) Thanks Vicki! I think it may even be THREE inches now - can you believe it??? Woohoo!
ReplyDelete