Grace is here!

Grace is here!
Our adventures begin with the amazing baby Grace! :)

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Week 24/25...

Oops!  OK - week 24 got away from me.  Or I simply chose not to include it subconsciously - it was pretty rough in some regards.  So... though it will make this long, I'm going to include info on both weeks!

In terms of week 24, the good parts include:
  • Physically I'm feeling better - no vomiting all week - hooray!
  • My baby bump has officially "popped" (i.e. it's very obvious I'm pregnant) :)
  • Our nieces and nephew (Bailee, Josie, and Braden) turned 8 and had such a fun party on Sat!!!
  • BLAKE PAINTED THE NURSERY... it is soooo great!!!
Kind of rough parts include:
  • A rough start of the week emotionally - that's all I'll say about that.
  • Wed I had Braxton-Hicks contractions all day - kind of weird - then I think Grace turned so I didn't feel her moving as much...
  • ... then Fri morning I had spotting.  I called Sam the nurse midwife freaking out.  She was very calm and reassured me that all of that was normal, but still kindly let me go in to have a doppler check of Grace's heartbeat - thankfully, as expected, all is fine! :)  Sam made me feel a lot better.
  • I have a weird knot in my back - under my right shoulder blade - and I can't get it to loosen up.  Ouch.
  • Last night I got quite sick - maybe I ate something bad (?) so I've been feeling really weak/gross. :(
Week 24 development for Grace included (from http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-24-weeks_1113.bc?read_more=1&scid=mbtw_preg24:1045&pe=2UvuHCR&st=MjAxMTAzMDE= ):

"Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts [her] at just over a pound. Since [s]he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), [s]he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but [her] body is filling out proportionally and [s]he'll soon start to plump up. [Her] brain is also growing quickly now, and [her] taste buds are continuing to develop. [Her] lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help [her] air sacs inflate once [s]he hits the outside world. [Her] skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.


It also said my uterus was above my belly button and the size of a soccer ball!

So... for this week (week 25) - from http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-25-weeks_1114.bc?read_more=1&scid=mbtw_preg25:1050&pe=2UvuHCR&st=MjAxMTAzMDE= :

"Head to heels, your baby now measures about 13 1/2 inches. Her weight — a pound and a half — isn't much more than an average rutabaga, but she's beginning to exchange her long, lean look for some baby fat. As she does, her wrinkled skin will begin to smooth out and she'll start to look more and more like a newborn. She's also growing more hair — and if you could see it, you'd now be able to discern its color and texture.


It also talks about how hormone levels keep your hair thicker (it doesn't fall out as much) and how your balance is getting thrown off.  Yep, I can see how THAT would happen! :)

OK - so, the "For Your Partner" sections on babyzone.com said...

(Week 24: http://www.babyzone.com/pregnancy/week/article/24th-week-pregnancy-pg3)

"Your Body, Yourself
As crazy as it sounds, many guys experience sympathetic pregnancy aches and pains right along with their partners (this is called Couvade's syndrome). This empathetic experience may include, among other things, a hearty weight gain. And often after the birth of Baby, parents experience even more weight gain, in part because they are sleeping less, are stressed out, and subsequently don't eat and exercise as healthfully or regularly. 

Remember, pregnancy lasts for nine months—you've got time to get prepared. Before your life becomes too hectic, begin eating and living healthier in preparation for your baby's arrival. Establishing healthy lifestyle habits now will give you a better chance of maintaining some of those habits after Baby comes. For instance, you can take a walk with your partner, a stroll through the neighborhood after dinner. Not only will that be good exercise for you both, but it will be nice time where you can catch up on all that is going on with each of you, building your connection even stronger for when Baby arrives. If you haven't historically helped with meals, this is a good time to begin to participate more by making sure more vegetables and other healthy food make their way onto the table. This will be invaluable when things get a little crazy after your baby is born. 

Because, of course, your partner's health is vital; she's carrying and supporting your baby, but your own health is crucial, too! You need your strength just like she does. Think of this as your own Spring Training: You need to practice now so when Baby comes you will be in great shape for the real thing."

Good advice, though Blake hasn't been gaining weight...

... and for this week (week 25: http://www.babyzone.com/pregnancy/week/article/25th-week-pregnancy-pg3)

"Taking Care of Yourself and Your Spouse
Life for you and your partner may get a little crazy when your baby is born. Now, before your newborn arrives, is the time to pamper yourselves. You most likely won't have the chance to again until months (or years!) after your Baby enters the world. 

Does your partner like manicures and pedicures? How about massages or getting her hair styled? Maybe even a spa treatment? These make for great treats and can help your spouse relieve stress and feel special—just how you want her to feel. 

Try scheduling an appointment for her or look for gift certificates so the experience is worry-free. If family and friends ask you what they can get her as a baby shower gift, these make for great suggestions (especially if they come with a "babysitting" service along with them for after your baby is born).

While pampering your loved one, don't forget about yourself! Dads-to-be deserve massages and spa treatments, too. Or how about a professional shave? What are the things that make you feel good and special? Be sure to schedule some of these things for yourself as well. 

The healthier you and your partner are, the better able you'll be to manage the stresses and chaos of having a newborn."

... too bad a couples massage is so expensive - it may be fun! :)  Good ideas before baby Grace gets here, but hard to do that when we're still paying off credit cards, working on the nursery, etc...

Anyway, Grace has been kicking a lot today - my friend JoDee even got to feel a kick!  It's reassuring but when she kicks in the middle of the night, I get excited and can't sleep.  Oh well - at least it's not hurting at this point, right? :)

OK sorry for such a long post.  Next week I'll include info on how week 25 went, and on development, etc. for week 26.

Hope you're all great!  Thanks for reading!!!

Oh - PS - I have an appt with Dr. Chamberlain Fri so maybe will post after that, too.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry things have been a little rough. I hope you are feeling better. I'm glad Grace is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa--I can't believe you've still been sick. That is crazy to me! What colors are you doing in the nursery? A little girl baby room is so much fun. Your info from babyzone reminded me--I had a 4D u/s at 24 weeks with my 2nd baby and they told me he was going to have a ton of hair. He was born with more hair than any human being I have ever seen, LOL. It's just amazing that they can tell that that early. So exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kris! So far this week is much better. :)

    Andrea - happy to hear from you! Just certain triggers are rough - including congestion, which is plaguing me I think from allergies and the pregnancy itself. It's ok though.

    The nursery walls are kind of a caramel/tan with white trim and ceiling - we're going to have white furniture, then accent with white, pinks, and greens (I think) - my mother-in-law and sister-in-law are making a quilt for me with those colors (white, pinks, greens) so I'm going to work with those I think. :) Good stuff!

    ... how fun about your u/s, too! If we have one I'll post pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops... I mean the quilt is for Gracie, not me... :)

    ReplyDelete