Grace is here!

Grace is here!
Our adventures begin with the amazing baby Grace! :)

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Week 26

I was thinking this morning about the fact that last year, we were waiting for our appointment with Dr. Heiner to figure out what we needed to do to start our family - now we are finishing a nursery, looking forward to baby showers, about to start classes on parenting and labor and delivery, etc.  Quite a change after several disappointments and years of hoping for our family to start! 

I think I started reflecting on this because a very dear friend of ours is going through a miscarriage - heartbreaking.  I think it is normal that once you start getting excited and have your due date in mind, you start thinking through the next months, wondering what you will look like, wondering if it will be a boy or a girl, thinking of the season it will be, etc.and getting VERY excited - then if something happens it's just a horrible loss.  My prayers are with her and I hope she will not be afraid and will get to start her family soon.

I read a paragraph that I keep reflecting on - it is especially salient when you think about the challenges some of us face in our baby hopes:

"Having babies may be as natural as the sun rising in the east, but it's still a miracle every time it happens.  If you feel anxious at times, it's just your humility acknowledging that having a dream come true is a blessing, not a right.  And when yours does come true, you will appreciate it that much more."  Vicki Iovine ~ The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy

OK - week 26 - I'm feeling better as long as I take Claritin D and benadryl - hate to do that daily, but it sure helps!  Blood sugars have been good except for today - I may have to change my pump site - that's my only guess as to what the heck is going on.  Gracie is kicking a LOT now - sometimes it feels like a Mexican jumping bean - you can sometimes see my clothes move the kicks are so strong!  Blake has been working really hard to assemble furniture we bought at Ikea for the nursery - he is finishing the dresser now.  I'll post pictures from the room transformation soon. :)  Oh - my stretch marks are getting worse and my stomach is getting itchy!!!  Not too bad, though.

... oops... and week 25 went just fine, if I didn't mention it before (d'oh!)

In terms of baby development, in week 26 (from http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-26-weeks_1115.bc?responsys_count=0&scid=mbtw_preg26:1075&pe=2UvuHCR):

"The network of nerves in your baby's ears is better developed and more sensitive than before. [S]he may now be able to hear both your voice and your partner's as you chat with each other. [S]he's inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of [her] lungs. These so-called breathing movements are also good practice for when [s]he's born and takes that first gulp of air. And [s]he's continuing to put on baby fat. [S]he now weighs about a pound and two-thirds and measures 14 inches (an English hothouse cucumber) from head to heel. 


OK we know Grace is actually probably 2+ lbs but that's ok! :)

The web site also talked about a birth plan - I don't really want to have too many expectations (as long as we all come home safely it will be great!), but am starting to give that some thought.  Our childbirth class is Sat March 26 - will probably get a better idea then (?)

At http://www.babyzone.com/pregnancy/week/article/26th-week-pregnancy, there was a lot about managing stress in pregnancy.  I've noticed I have to slow down and relax expectations of myself a bit or I just get plain exhausted!  Other than that, I think stress is going ok - though  I think sometime soon I may need to go on sabbatical from a few things (i.e. singing in choir at church).

Stress is the focus of "For Your Partner", too:

"Learning to De-Stress

Will you be able to afford another little person in your life? Do you need to make changes to your home in preparation for Baby's arrival? Will you need to move? The more your partner shows, the more stressed you may feel. Why? Money is a significant stressor for many men. As fathers-to-be, we are programmed to believe we should be the financial providers for our families. 

But stress doesn't end with the checkbook. You may also be concerned about your partner's health (as well as that of your baby). If you're about to become a dad for the first time, that is no doubt a source of anxiety as well. We hate to tell you, but when your little one comes into the world, you'll no doubt add her to your list of worries, too. 

Now is the perfect time to start thinking about (and implementing) ways to reduce stress and refuel your tank so you've got the energy needed to face what lies ahead. Maybe it means taking more of your lunch hour to relax, read, or listen to music—something solely for yourself. Maybe it means finding podcasts, satellite radio, or music to listen to while working out, commuting, or working. Look for things that stimulate you and make you feel better. Don't forget exercise as a great stress reducer, too. 

When your baby arrives, your life will become more chaotic and challenging. Learning coping strategies and figuring out ways to de-stress your life now will help you prepare for your new role. Leaning how to manage stress will also give you the tools necessary to interact more effectively with your spouse and your child."

Good stuff!

OK then - my next appt with Dr. Silver is Tuesday - will post soon after that.

... and we met Dr. Michelle Chamberlain - I think she is GREAT and am excited to go to her!  So nice, down to earth, and easy to talk to.  All we do now is call her when Grace gets here and go in for a 3 - 5 day check-up. :)

Hope you all are great!!!

Oh... and... less than 100 days to go now!!!  Only one more week of the 2nd trimester - CRAZY! :)



1 comment:

  1. A year can really change things, can't it! I can't believe you are almost in your third trimester! That is so exciting. I'm so happy things are going well for you and Grace. I hope you get a lot of the things done this weekend that you want to do, and have some time to rest too!

    ReplyDelete