Grace is here!

Grace is here!
Our adventures begin with the amazing baby Grace! :)

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Week 31 - 33 (oops)

OK OK, it is absolutely horrible to go this long without posting.  Poor Gracie's story is missing a bit here!!!

The past few weeks have been completely exhausting - primarily because we've been involved with assisting with measles investigations.  Folks from my staff may wonder why I'm whining about this given they're really the ones doing the work - hopefully my contributions (however small) are helpful!  Anyway trust me when I say an incredible amount of work from all of my peeps has gone into this response, and it's just a piece of what has gone on statewide between local health departments, schools, clinicians, etc... Wow.  If you ever wonder "what does public health do for me"? give me a call - there are amazingly dedicated people who work very hard to help those who are sick and prevent illness in others.  While I am zonked, I certainly love my job and the opportunity to work with these folks!

ANYWAY - on a fun note, I had my first Utah baby shower - family and friends - on Sat April 16 at Danielle's (my sis-in-law's) house.  My Mom and Genevieve came into town and stayed with us, which meant Blake and I really cracked down in the week or two before to finish two BIG projects: finishing the basement and finishing the office/guestroom remodel.  We did it though, which gave us plenty of room/options for company! :)  The party was so great - the hostesses worked really hard to make things so lovely.  Again, people were incredibly generous, and we continue to see that Grace is one loved little baby!!! :)  I need to get my thank you notes out - planning to work on that this weekend!!!


Our good friend Isapela came and took super pictures - so nice.  If you have an account on facebook, I *think* you can view it by looking at my profile page (Isapela's album "Melissa's shower"), or you may be able to click on this link:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150152867372330.284474.538952329 

then log-in to see them.

Some of the pics follow:

Cake my Mom made
Yummy treats!

Grace's dress with jacket

Gracie's blessing dress - made from my wedding dress














Grace's quilt from Grandma Vicki and Aunt Danielle

back of the quilt with label


Car seat cover from Danielle and Vicki

Quilt Mom made for Grace

Tutu and headband made for Grace by  Nana PattiCake
Cute giraffe from Lisa J.

... some of my favorite peeps... :)
Blakee... :)

Grace's Aunt Danielle

One of my all-time favorite friends, Dyan :)

... and another, Lisa J.

... and another, Liz!

Me getting to see Liz after about 12 yrs! :)

My Grandma, Bethany, Sierra, and Chelsea (cousins)

Liz, me, and Dyan

Gen, Mom, me, Danielle, and Ember

Blake and Mom

Gracie's grandmas - Nana PattiCake and Grandma GG (Vicki) :)

My mom and Grandma (my Dad's mom)


Gen, Mom, and me
Me on the porch after the party








































It was soooo much fun!!! :)

OK so things I've observed the past few weeks:
  • Grace is moving - a LOT - you can see my belly move regularly now!  Cool but kind of alien-like! ;)
  • My belly itches - a LOT - I think this is normal from stretching skin.  I tried lots of lotions and found straight aloe vera is AMAZINGLY great, at least for me!
  • I'm getting anxious that time is going by SOOO fast!!!  Only 6 wks left (most likely) until they induce me unless she comes early!  
  • Oh how I miss seeing my feet and being able to lean over easily.... ;)
  • Getting to be pregnant is SO cool.  I didn't know I'd get to have this experience - little discomforts aside, it's just an amazing thing.  I feel REALLY lucky!!!
  • I'm pretty emotional - all of the time.  Silly things make me cry.
  • My feet and hands get pretty swollen by the end of the day, and I'm having trouble finding comfortable ways to sleep.
I started non-stress tests (NST) twice/week last week.  Last week was kind of scary - I went to my first NST and they told me I was having regular contractions, and my blood pressure was high.  I kind of freaked out.  Then I realized DUH I was REALLY dehydrated!  Since then I've been focusing on drinking lots of water and I feel MUCH better - the contractions are pretty much gone.  BP still kind of high, but it's just what it is - no one is worried now (including Dr. Silver). :)

I should mention before I forget to - Blake took me on a date last Sat - all his idea! :)  It was so nice.  Good job hubby. :)

OK development - I'm just going to include links since I didn't get my act together to post more sooner:




I think the main things at this point are:
  • Her brain (and therefore neurological function) is growing/developing a TON
  • She's gaining weight and growing longer
  • Her lungs are continuing to develop
GO GRACE! :)

OK this has been a novel - I'll try to do better/post more soon!

I can't even remember if I posted about our parenting classes...????  Hmmm... well, they were really helpful and practical if I didn't mention it!  I think I now know how to swaddle a baby, and maybe even have a small clue about bathing, etc.  Not that it won't all go out the window with sleep deprivation/the reality of bringing her home, but at least it's a start.

Hope you all are doing great - thanks for reading this chapter!!! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Wow Melissa! What a fun shower and such beautiful gifts! Little Grace is one lucky girl. So much support and love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's amazing how much you have recorded for Grace, and I don't think you should feel bad AT ALL for missing a couple of weeks. On the other hand, I know you have been really too busy and wish you had a little more time to reflect and enjoy :)

    I can't believe it's May and soon she will be here!! Great pictures from the shower - especially the quilt and dress. amazing!!

    I hope everything continues to go well and you can enjoy one more uncomfortable but exciting month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace Audrey "Gracefully"? Born on May 6,2011 at 10:36 am, my plane landed at 10:36 and I was able to see her within the hour, the miracle continues.. it was an emergency c section as Melissa had pulmonary adema? it was a very tough go and Grace is still in the hospital with Melissa doing 15 hrs a day nursing her to get her home.. angels had to hav surrounded them on May 6.. its a miracle, Melissa is beautiful, brave and courageous ..Grace will be just like her mom

    ReplyDelete